PODRKEPA began in 1939 in the home of Radi & Petia Cherkezov as a social gathering for Bulgarians and Macedonians new to the United States.
The group soon become too numerous to continue meeting in homes, so following the suggestion of Bishop Andrei of Sofia, Bulgaria, on his visit to Portland, Podkrepa was registered with the State of Oregon as a fraternal organization in 1939.
At that time they initiated formal meetings and social gatherings weekly in Dania Hall.
On June 8, 1952 the current meeting hall on Killingsworth was dedicated with Rev Nicholas Lavko, Pastor of Russian Orthodox church officiating.
Events included annual fundraising teas, holiday bazaars, and other celebrations in addition to frequent socials and regular meetings. In the late 1950s the group decided to meet twice a month, once for business and the other purely social. Later the organization changed to monthly meetings and special events, such as folk dancing, as needs and interests arose. That format has continued to the present day.
In 2011 Podkrepa formally become a non-profit charitable organization in the State of Oregon.